Everyone is following a trend. As they say, “being trendy seems like the next trend”! This is true especially in industries like fashion and design. We have to agree that trends keep us relevant, trends keep us young, trends help us to connect with others and they speak a lot about a particular person or a product.
How do trends develop?
It takes a while for something to develop into a trend. A craze or a fad becomes a trend when it is used over a fairly long period of time by a number of people. In graphic design, new trends pop up every year. It is always good to know these trends so that as a graphic designer you can create art works that are more acceptable by clients and customers. As marketing companies, you should understand current trends so that you can communicate with the consumers in the language of colors and design they prefer and like.
Do not follow trends blindly
It is extremely important to know the business of design before you blindly follow a trend. Imagine a restaurant putting up advertising to showcase the new menu in black and white because that is trending. The fact that the advertising will fail to connect with food connoisseurs is a no brainer. A foodie would like to see the vibrant colors of a dish before trying it. As they say, “you eat with your eyes before your mouth”.
A good graphic designer will follow the trends with a purpose. The purpose can be to keep designs contemporary or functional. It can also depend on the material used or the relationship between the product and the consumers etc. What do you want to achieve with a particular trend is more important than blindly following the trend.
Top graphic design trends of 2019
Let us take a look at what are some of the top trends you can keep an eye on to make your work more saleable, acceptable and special.
- 3 D designs: Three-dimensional design technique can be applied to text as well as images. The technique brings alive an object and catches the viewers’ attention. A lot of companies are combining this with Artificial Intelligence (AI) and making it even more interesting.
- Black and white typography: Black and white definitely breaks the monotony of colorful artworks. It also gives a very classy touch to the design. A lot of designers use black and white typography on beauty and cosmetics products.
- Single stroke design: This trend goes by the principle of ‘less is more’. Simplicity is at the core of a single stroke design trend. A single line or a brush stroke can communicate more than all the complicated drawings and use of colors.
- Geometric shapes: Usage of geometric shapes is trending this year. Its versatile use makes it so popular. Geometric designs can be rendered in form of pop art, can be playful, have bright colors, or can be 3D.
- Gradients and color transitions: This trend can be seen more in logos. A lot of logos are designed using the opposite color gradients. This draws the users’ eye and can break the monotony of a static image.
- Serif typeface: Serif is a line or a stroke at the end of a letter. A typeface or a font family that has a stroke at the end of the letter are categories as serif. And those that do not follow this rule are sans serif i.e. without serif. Till a very long time designers used sans serif fonts. For example, Helvetica is considered favorite of graphic designers and is a sans serif font. However, in 2019, serif typefaces are back in vogue.
- Metals: Metals or metallic look is again the very flexible and versatile look of the season. Depending on the presentation, a metallic design can look very premium or very tawdry and glitzy at the same time. It can be used in typography as well.
- Animated logos: Animated or dynamic logos break the static monotony of logos. It stands out, is fun and leverages the digital advantage in designing.
- Hand painted and handwritten texts: Text styles that look like hand scripted texts bring a human touch to the design. They create energy and movement in the design. They make communication more expressive.
- Optical illusion and psychedelic designs: – This trend leverages the optical play of space and movement. It is a very interesting trend and captivates a user visually within seconds.
Flowz delivers designs that are functional and at the same time trendy. It has over 18 years of experience in delivering best-in-class graphic designing services. This wide experience is put to use by its talented graphic artists to first understand the client requirements in-depth and then render spectacular designs.
Flowz graphic artists can easily handle any creative project from production artwork to creative consulting and conceptualization. It offers graphic design services in areas of
‐ Logos and artworks
‐ Website graphics
‐ Brochures, flyers, ads, posters and other marketing materials
‐ Stationery, envelopes, invoices, forms and business cards
‐ Sell sheets and PowerPoints
‐ Social media posts and infographics
‐ E-books and other e-thought leader pieces
‐ Embroidery digitizing